Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Getting Things Done

A last minute ride today, I decided to push to the top of the Oak Ridge Trail once again. My motivation (besides the obvious fun ride down, and ok, the exercise)? To get those damn switchbacks done, and get them done cleanly.
With less snow to trudge through this time around, I made good time to the top. Getting used to hiking with my bike also sped up the journey. I met a hiker on the trail, and she thought I was crazy for 'riding' my bike up this trial. I assured her that there would be more time spent on foot than in the saddle. This is, after all, a steep bugger of a trail.
With every ride, I always try to go longer or push it harder than I did the last time on the trail. Or I try to learn or do something new or better each time. I've come to think of the Oak Ridge Trial as my training trail, so I definitely need to keep track of my progress. Today I went about a half mile longer, waiting to crest the top of Surveryor's, but sadly, never made it to the trail junction, although I must have been really close. Next time.
I also starting keeping score of the switchbacks. The first 6 went well, but the first really steep, loose, rocky one got me. 
I hate having to get off my bike on the trail, especially when coming down the hill. Which is why switchbacks can be frustrating. When it's exposed or in tight trees, even worse because it becomes a mind game. I gave it my all today though, and in the end, rode more of the tight turns than I did on my last jaunt on Oak Ridge. I was happy for that, and very happy that I didn't make only 7 of them. Next time I'll ride even more.

Date:  march 4, 2008
Riders: Val, Tucker, Lassie, and Stinky
Trail: Oak Ridge
Area: Surveyor's
Miles: 4
Highlights: Kickin some switchback ass.


No comments: