Sunday, February 24, 2008

Perfection

Yesterday was just one of those days: perfect. Blue skies, gorgeous trail conditions, and all day to do whatever we wanted. Bliss, I tell ya. Bliss.

You would have thought it was a summer day: I was sweating in my long sleeves and closed-back knee pads, way overdressed. The sun shone as high over head as it had in months. We dropped in to Coyote Cliffs, across open, fields turning from winter brown to spring green, remniscent of what I would imagine Scotland might look like. Lassie felt right at home, I am sure, only minus the sheep. At the top of the open expanse, deer galloped away, spooked by our tires and voices. They were so graceful, running--prancing almost--and I felt for a second slightly ashamed to be plodding so clumsily across the same slopes on my man-made wheels with big, knobby tires.

But when the trail began to get rocky, twisty, turny, it would be grace that would make the bike behave. Balance that would get it around the corner, and speed that would glide the tires up and over the rocks. Flying through all of the obstacles, around corners, squeezing through tight trees in places, and flowing with the motion of the tires, I felt time slow down--for a second--while I reveled in the the sheer joy of feeling and responding to the bike beneath my body.

Ahh, Spring. And the beginning of ride season: epic rides, hike-a-bikes, and going fast, really fast. Working on skills and always learning something new on every ride. Camping and Canada, and long, long days. I could barely contain myself.

At the bottom of Coyote Cliffs, we heaved ourselves back up the front side of the Syncline, past the waterfall on Little Maui, and over to Little Moab. Riding through patches of purple wild crocus, a grin engulfed my face, and I wanted to jump off my bike and roll around on the ground, absorbing all of their spring wonderfulness. It was perfect, really. Just perfect.

Bart and I decided to ride Little Moab, while Ryan and Pierce, plus three dogs, rode over to Loose Lucy. Same grin on my face as we flew down the trail, with grace and control, savoring the flow.

I welcome you Spring, with open arms and a big grin.

Date: 2/23/08
Riders: Ryan, Bart, Pierce, Val, Tucker, Lassie, and Stinky
Trails: Coyote Cliffs, Little Maui, Loose Lucy, Little Moab
Area: Syncline, SW Washington
Highlights: Sun and flowers. Feeling the burn in lungs and legs.

No comments: